Horizontal Oscillating Mass Investigation
The purpose of this lab is to collect motion detector and
force sensor data of an oscillating system. In this lab the system will consist of a low friction cart attached to a
- CBL and TI calculator or MBL interface with appropriate software
- Ultrasonic Motion Detector
- Force Sensor
- Low friction cart
- Set up your oscillating system.Attach a force sensor to the frictionless
cart and set up the motion detector to capture the cartís motion.
- Prepare your data collection software with appropriate conditions.
Displace the cart and release. Capture the motion of the cart with the sensors.
- In the graph below, sketch the position versus time graph for the cart.
- Describe the cartís position (use specific details from the graph).
- Using the definitions and the graph of position versus time, find numerical values for the following terms:
- Write a set of instructions for how you found answers to question 3. Write these instructions
in terms that a novice could understand and perform.
- In the graph below, sketch the velocity versus time graph for the cart.
- Describe the cartís velocity (use specific details from the graph).
- In the graph below, sketch the force versus time graph for the cart
- Describe the force the spring exerts on the force (use specific details from the graph).
- What do the position, velocity and force graphs have in common? How are they different?
The lab required a low friction cart.What effect would significant friction have on the motion of the cart?
Add the friction pad attachment to your cart and collect motion data. Summarize your results below.